NOTE: The HECM exam was last updated in early 2016 and reflects HECM program changes up to and including ML 2016-04.
This exam is required under HUD Rule FR-4989-F-402 which established standards to qualify individuals as counselors to provide HECM counseling to prospective borrowers. This is a challenging exam designed to ensure that knowledgeable, well-informed counselors are providing services to senior homeowners. Extensive preparation is required.
Key Facts about the HECM Exam:
- Fee: $100 (additional fees for rescheduled or missed exams)
- Payment: Online via credit card only (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express)
- Exam Location: The HUD HECM Counselor Exam is now offered online only, and may be taken from any location that meets the test administrator's requirements. See www.HECMexam.org for details. To take the exam, you will need a computer with internet access and a working web camera and microphone. If you do not have access to a web camera (or mic), please email firstname.lastname@example.org for available options.
- Passing Score: A qualifying score of 80 or more on this exam will make you eligible for the HUD HECM Roster.
- The exam is administered for HUD by PAVR Software Solutions. For detailed instructions on registering for and scheduling your exam, visit www.HECMexam.org.